A down comforter is a luxurious way to feel your sleep. Down comforters are not only made for cold weather. There is a huge range of it to choose for all seasons in the market. They are differentiated by weight as well. You not only enjoy the gentle warmth of your down comforters in the winter only, but it can be used for all year round as you have options to purchase a down quilt with lightweight, natural and breathable material as well. The down comforter is not filled with feathers. The down does not have a flat or a stiff shape like actual feathers too.
Before purchasing a good one for you, it would be right to know what to look for buying to make a great purchase. Here are some essential tips that you should keep in mind when shopping for a high quality down quilts. Read on to know more about it.
- Top 10 Down Comforter on 2016 (Reviews)
- Guide To Choose?
- 1.Look for the comforter that comes within your budget
- 2.Choose a Filing you want to have:
- 3.Check the designs available in the market and determine what is best for you:
- 4.Buy a perfect fabric:
- 5.Select a well-stitched comforter depending on thread count:
- 6.Determine the thickness or fill power of comforter you want to buy:
- 7.Know how to clean or wash your down comforter:
- Some useful tips
Top 10 Down Comforter on 2016 (Reviews)
Guide To Choose?
1.Look for the comforter that comes within your budget
At first set a budget. Keeping that in mind, you need to determine how many down quilt you will need for your home and how much you can spend on each comforter. In this scenario, it would be perfect if you try to pay more so that your comforter will last longer. It is important to keep in mind that how you would like to sleep, whether you need extra warmth or not. You may opt for a lightweight or may go with heavy weight. Determine your down quilt according to your sleeping habits as well. As the down has the advantage of being insulating without increasing weight and is highly comfortable too. But it is not recommended for allergy sufferers. Some unique washing methods can trigger allergy problems.
When you are going to buy it, you have to pay for high quality. Yes, you may find synthetic fills are less pricey, but they cannot regulate temperature as a down quilt.
2.Choose a Filing you want to have:
When shopping for a down quilt, you should know about the filing. The down is a natural insulator and highly desired for its fluffy fill and lightweight nature. Although feathers can provide some insulation, they are mainly used to give support.
Goose down used to make down quilt. You may have an option in both gray and white goose down. You may prefer white goose down as it cannot show through your white comforter shells. Goose down comes from larger birds and provides more massive cluster. The undeniably large goose group is more durable than duck ones.
Most manufacturers use goose down comforter but you will get the option in filling with the duck- down also. You may find duck down in the lower end comforters. The filling with goose and duck down can give equal insulation. Geese are wild, and their down is plucked after capturing them. Certainly, the clusters of the geese are more mature. They can be larger and warmer than duck ones as the ducks can be farmed and their group size may vary.
3.Check the designs available in the market and determine what is best for you:
You will get plenty of varieties in the market. Here are some common designs and their benefits.
• Baffle box -In this kind of down comforters, strips of fabric are sewn between the top and bottom layers of the comforter. Those pieces of fabric are known as baffles. This one is designed for creating compartments for the fill. You can have a fully expanded bedding to get the highest loft.
• Gusset -In gusset design, walls are being designed around the outer edge of the comforter. It means the walls connect the top and bottom layers of it. To maximize loft, edges add height to this. These quilts generally come in baffle box or box stitch.
• Diamond-quilted -In this design, the top and bottom layers of quilts are sewn to form a diamond pattern. This design eliminates shifting of the fill as well.
• Ring-Stitch -To create small circles, the top and bottom layers of the comforter are sewn together. In this type of construction, fill can move around the quilt.
• Karo-Step -In cross-stitch design, fill cannot move through compartments of the own comforter freely. But this allows some movement to the fill. Karo- step is sewn through or baffled designed.
• Sewn-Through box stitch – You will see a frame pattern design, in which the top and bottom layers are sewn together. This type of comforter restricts the movement of the fill.
• Sewn-Through Channel Stitch -In this design, the top and bottom layers of the comforter are sewn together in vertical or horizontal rows. Fill can have more movement here than a box stitched comforter.
You have to choose your comforter amongst these designs. Make sure which one is greatest for you. If you want a lofty down quilt, then you can go with baffle-box construction. As baffle-box construction has a grid-like stitching, it keeps down more lofty and prevents to form tiny gaps.
4.Buy a perfect fabric:
When you need down quilts for you, don’t forget the material is also important. Down quilts are made with both cotton and linen. Choose accordingly. Understand what you exactly need to sleep comfortably and make your purchase.
5.Select a well-stitched comforter depending on thread count:
Thread plays an important role to make your down quilt work for you. A higher thread count provides a tighter weave to the fabric. It helps to make the fabric soft as well. If you choose a down quilt with a higher thread count and tighter wave, you can be sure that you are purchasing a quality thing that can hold fill well and will last longer. If thread count or weave is not right, there is a high chance that the filling can shift and bunch eventually. The fill may be unevenly distributed after long term use or washing. To prevent this, a well-stitched comforter having baffle box construction could be the best fit for you.
6.Determine the thickness or fill power of comforter you want to buy:
Down quilts come with a fill power. Fill power is a number that tells you how much fill is there in particular down quilts. The range of fill power lies between 525 to 700. You will get a fluffier one upon choosing a higher number in fill power. For example, if you want to buy a lightweight down quilt, buy one with a lower fill power number. And if you like to have a heavy weight quilt, go with higher fill power number and get extra warmth during the sleep. A fill power is having 600 rating or more, is enough to create an excellent loft and better insulating power. Obviously, you will get loftier and fluffy down comforter with increasing fill power numbers.
Fill power is the measure to determine the amount of gap one ounce of down takes. It is the indicator of warmth and quality of a best down comforter for summer. If you buy down comforter having fill power number up to 400, you will get a very soft and lightweight warmth to feel at night. To get all season warmth, you should go with fill power 400-599. If you are looking for a lightweight down comforter but want to feel warm while putting on at night, you have to go with fill power 600-799. And lastly, if you are looking for a down quilt that will provide you highest insulation and is best for winter warmth, buy with fill power number 800 and up.
7.Know how to clean or wash your down comforter:
It is important to know how you should take care of your down quilt. When you start to use it, shake it for a few minutes to restore the loft. You can do it by fluffing it in the dryer for a few minutes as well. Shake your comforters regularly to expand the down clusters.
You should wash your down comforters 2 or 3 times in a year aside from regular spot cleaning. Always read the instruction before washing or cleaning as some down quilts should be cleaned with dry cleaning only. For others, you can use mild detergent and warm water on a large machine washer. Mind it, and you can wash in the machine if your down quilt is machine washable. Use dryer rings and dryer balls to prevent clumping. To dry it, run on low in the dryer for a couple of hours. Make sure that the down is evenly dried. Gently steam the fabric to treat the wrinkled shell fabric. You should never iron it.
Keep your down quilts in a duvet cover. This habit will keep your bedding clean and elongates its life. You can frequently wash the duvet cover. It is recommended to clean your duvet cover than to wash your down quilt regularly. To maintain freshness, allow your bedding to rest in the air for some time. When you are not using your top down quilt, keep it in a well-ventilated place. Plastic bags are not recommended for keeping the quilts as these can trap moisture and create mildew.
Some useful tips
When you are ready to buy the best down comforter brand for you, try to keep these simple tips in mind. These will surely help you to make the perfect purchase. b
• Understand your sleeping habits well. If you are used to sleeping in a warm room or like to wear thick nightgowns, heavyweight down comforter is not made for you then. It would be better you buy a lighter one. Comforter having filled power 500 or below will be perfect for you. And if you like to wear light night dresses while sleeping and your room temperature is cool, then for the utmost comfort; choose a ll bean down comforter. A quilt with fill power 600 and above will be perfect for you.
• When buying a quilt, stick your hand into the quilt and try to press a fiberfill clump with your forefinger and thumb. If you can rub your fingers quickly, then the comforter is less likely to form clumps over time.
• Check if the down quilt has a high thread count. It is important. 300 or more thread count on the outer fabric will be okay. You will see fewer clumps over time, and the threads will also prevent the down from extra movements.
• Try to pick the down quilts filled with white down. Although the color doesn’t have much role in insulating, it may look cool. The Down quilts with white down are perfect in January. If you want to buy a quilt with white down, wait for the right season.
• After buying your new down quilts, allow it to expand and reach maximum fluffiness and a loft. It may take near about 72 hours after unpacking.
Enjoy the thick, luxurious and warm down quilts. Maybe throughout the year or on the coldest winter nights, it is the solution for all. A variety of styles and variety of ranges of down vs down alternative comforter, choose which one is best for you. The down comforters are an investment for you, take your time and money to buy a suitable one. Don’t go with others as what are for them, may not be right for you. It is absolutely for your nights and your warmth. Only you can understand your comfort zone. Try to do some researches on different types of Ikea down comforter and then make the purchase. Follow the instruction on how to maintain and enjoy your pick.